How to View Your Degree Evaluation

Your degree evaluation is an online, printable, individualized report on your progress toward meeting graduation requirements.  It is an excellent tool to use in addition to – but not instead of! – meeting with your academic advisor. We ask that you print your degree evaluation and bring it with you when you go see your advisor.

The first step to accessing your degree evaluation is to know what your catalog year is. What’s a “catalog year”? The “catalog year” (also known as “catalog term”) refers to the official requirements for completing your degree as published in the University Catalog in the term/year you entered Mason. For example, if you started at Mason in Fall 2011, your catalog year is Fall 2011.  If you started at Mason in Spring 2013, your catalog year is Spring 2013. Etc. This is true whether you came in as a freshman or as a transfer student.

Because over time degree requirements may change in ways that would benefit you, you are allowed to change your catalog year to a later one. To do this, see your advisor to complete the paperwork and then submit it to the registrar (SUB I).

Many official Mason forms ask you for your catalog year, so it is good to know what yours is. It is also the starting point for running your degree evaluation. Whereas before all students used the same degree evaluation program, Mason is now transitioning to new software and this means that some students use the new one (Degree Works) and some keep using the old one (CAPP, or Curriculum Advising & Planning Program), as follows:

  • Students with a catalog year of Fall 2012 or later use Degree Works.
  • Students with a catalog year prior to Fall 2012 use CAPP.

Degree Works Step-by-Step:

Student information is updated nightly. Information such as program changes and registration will not appear on the evaluation until the following day. You must click Process New to view the updated information.

  1. Login to Patriot Web
  2. Select Student Services
  3. Select Student Records
  4. Select Degree Evaluation Menu
  5. Select Degree Works

More detailed information, including video tutorials, about Degree Works' features (such as “What If” and “Look Ahead”) can be found at

CAPP Step-by-Step:

Login to Patriot Web

  1. Select Student Services
  2. Select Student Records
  3. Select Degree Evaluation Menu
  4. Select CAPP 
  5. Select a term and click Submit
  6. Click Generate New Evaluation
  7. Select the academic program
  8. Click Generate Request
  9. Select Detail Requirements
  10. Click Submit

NOTE: In CAPP, a student with a double major must run a “What-If” degree evaluation for each program.

“What-If” Analysis Directions:

  1. Follow steps #1 – #6 above.
  2. Instead of selecting Generate New Evaluation, select What-If Analysis.
  3. Select your catalog year from the drop down menu and click Continue
  4. Select your major from Program
  5. Click Add More to add a concentration or minor
  6. Click Submit
  7. Click Generate Request
  8. Select Detail Requirements
  9. Click Submit