All applicants for graduate study at George Mason University must meet the admission standards specified in the Admission chapter of the University Catalog.
Applicants to the MA in art history must submit
- Completed Application for Graduate Study (online).
- Nonrefundable application fee.
- Virginia In-State Tuition Rates Application if claiming entitlement to these rates.
- One official transcript from all previous institutions attended. Transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope to the College of Humanities and Social Sciences Graduate Admissions Office or, if an official electronic transcript, to Mason’s official email address for transcript receipt. Official Transcripts.
- Goals statement that explains student’s interest in art history graduate study.
- Two letters of recommendation from art history professors or others closely associated with the candidate’s pre-professional activities.
- GRE Scores. This requirement is waived for students who received their undergraduate degree 10 or more years ago, or who hold another graduate degree.
- Resume that clearly describes student’s background in art history or related fields.
- Writing sample.
Applicants with international academic credentials should apply 30 days before the program deadline and must also provide:
- Proof of English proficiency: either TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearson Test of English. Please refer to the university’s English Proficiency standard.
- Degree certificates, diplomas, or additional transcript documentation as outlined in the university’s International Transcript Submission Guidelines.
- Applicants may supply an official international transcript evaluation from an independent evaluation agency approved by NACES or AACRAO. The WES-ICAP evaluation service includes verified academic credentials as part of the evaluation package.
Applicants to the MA in art history should hold a BA in art history or a minor in art history that includes two courses at the 400 level or have an equivalent background. Candidates without the requisite background may be admitted provisionally.
Applicants who have been academically terminated or dismissed from any George Mason University graduate program must wait a minimum of two years from the semester of termination/dismissal to apply to the MA in art history program.
Fall: March 15
Spring: November 01
All applicants are strongly advised to submit applications and all supporting documents by the programs' posted deadline dates.