All applicants for graduate study at George Mason University must meet the admission standards specified in the Admission chapter of the University Catalog.
Applicants to the MA in history must submit:
- Completed Application for Graduate Study (online).
- Nonrefundable application fee.
- Virginia In-State Tuition Rates Application if claiming entitlement to these rates.
- Unofficial copies of transcript(s) from previous institution(s) attended (uploaded via online application).
- Goals statement (uploaded via online application) that explains the applicant’s academic credentials, professional background, and intellectual interest in George Mason University’s MA program in history, and ultimate career goals.
- Resume or CV (uploaded via online application).
- The names and email addresses (via the online application) of the two professional colleagues or academic mentors directly familiar with the applicant's professional competence and interests who will be submitting the required letters of recommendation. Please follow instructions on the online application for submitting this information.
- GRE scores. The GRE requirement is waived for students who received their undergraduate degrees 10 or more years ago or hold another graduate degree.
Applicants with international academic credentials should:
- review Mason's International Transcript Guidelines to determine exactly which documents you must submit
- upload the Acknowledgement of International Graduate Transcript Policies form linked in the online application to fulfill the transcript requirement section of the application
NOTE: Applicants may supply an official international transcript evaluation from an independent evaluation agency approved by NACES or AACRAO. The WES-ICAP evaluation service includes verified academic credentials as part of the evaluation package. If you prefer to have Mason evaluate your international transcripts, you should apply 45 days before the posted deadline date.
- provide proof of English proficiency: either TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearson Test of English. Please refer to the university’s English Proficiency Standards.
- submit your official transcripts in a sealed envelope directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions either via postal mail or in-person to:
George Mason University
Office of Graduate Admissions
4400 University Drive, MSN 4C8
245 Johnson Center
Fairfax, VA 22030
For questions regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at email@example.com or (703) 993-9700.
Applicants who have been academically terminated or dismissed from any George Mason University graduate program must wait a minimum of two years from the semester of termination/dismissal to apply to the MA in history program.
Fall: March 15
Spring: November 01
All applicants are strongly advised to submit applications and all supporting documents by the program's posted deadline date.