All applicants for graduate study at George Mason University must meet the admission standards specified in the Admission chapter of the University Catalog.
Applicants to the PhD in history must submit:
- Completed Application for Graduate Study (online).
- Nonrefundable application fee.
- Virginia In-State Tuition Rates application if claiming entitlement to these rates.
- Unofficial transcript(s) from previous institution(s) attended (uploaded via online application).
- Goals statement that explains the applicant’s academic credentials, professional background, intellectual interest in the doctoral program in history, and ultimate career goals (uploaded via online application).
- Resume or CV (uploaded via online application).
- The names and email addresses (via online application) of the three individuals who have firsthand knowledge of the applicant’s academic capabilities or work experience who will be submitting the required letters of recommendation.
- GRE scores (required).
Please Note: Submit your online application after uploading all of the requirements above. After your application is submitted and reviewed, you will receive instructions on how to submit the following required item:
- Writing sample consisting of a history essay, research paper, or professional paper (uploaded online).
Applicants with international academic credentials should:
- review Mason's International Transcript Guidelines to determine exactly which documents you must submit
- upload the Acknowledgement of International Graduate Transcript Policies form linked in the online application to fulfill the transcript requirement section of the application
NOTE: Applicants may supply an official international transcript evaluation from an independent evaluation agency approved by NACES or AACRAO. The WES-ICAP evaluation service includes verified academic credentials as part of the evaluation package. If you prefer to have Mason evaluate your international transcripts, you should apply 45 days before the posted deadline date.
- provide proof of English proficiency: either TOEFL, IELTS, or Pearson Test of English. Please refer to the university’s English Proficiency Standards.
- submit your official transcripts in a sealed envelope directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions either via postal mail or in-person to:
George Mason University
Office of Graduate Admissions
4400 University Drive, MSN 4C8
245 Johnson Center
Fairfax, VA 22030
For questions regarding the application process, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at email@example.com or (703) 993-9700.
Fall: January 15
Applications are accepted for fall semester only. All applicants are strongly advised to submit applications and all supporting documents by the program's posted deadline date.